Saturday, November 8, 2008

An Introduction-

OK so since I've decided to "blog" ,my first will be an introduction of myself. I am 32 years old, live in a very small town in Louisiana where I was born and raised but had the opportunity to leave to attend college at Northwestern State University where I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism (public relations) emphasis and a minor in criminal justice. I work two jobs now-the first is as case manager for the local school board in the homeless children program-no, it isn't necessarily children living on the street but staying with grandparents or other family or even friends. We help these children to succeed as well as the ones who have a steady home. My second job is as a program director for the Boys and Girls Club local unit. I can lots of good things about the BGC program in general-it is a great place for children ages 6-18 to come and get help with studying or homework or to come play/have a good time with other kids in a safe, fun environment. The only downside is that we have only been open to the children since Sept. 30 so we are still kind of disorganized and getting the kinks out, but it is getting better!
If I have any free time-not like I do-I love to read and write stories. I am nearly finished with WICKED-The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire-it is a wonderful book, tells the story of Elphaba, the "Wicked Witch of the West" from the 'Wizard of Oz'. Can't wait to get started on the sequel "Son of a Witch" Haha-no, it's about her son Liir.
I was written by the "writing" bug in 6th grade when the school librarian had all of the classes write and illustrate a "skinny book"-we each had to write a story and 1st, 2nd and 3rd places were selected from each class-from the 1st place entries a 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall was chosen. I placed 1st in my class and was selected as the overall winner. Ms. Brodnax (the librarian) encouraged me to keep writing..so I did. I have placed in the statewide Young Author's Competition a couple of times. Throughout the years as life interfered writing was placed on the back burner. I chose to start this blog to get back in the habit of writing, because I hope to have something published. I have written for newspapers, both in college and on the professional level-there is nothing like seeing your name in print. That's just a little about me, more to come as I have time...

No comments: